Thursday, February 20, 2014

Driving, communicating -- and keeping all of those devices charged up and ready to use

I took some time to ponder a typical day on our journey and began to wonder about all of the things that we take for granted – and how the same issues would be addressed in Italy.

What things? Driving, communicating with cell phones, accessing data, charging electronic devices and carrying camera equipment.

Before we get too close to departure, I want these issues resolved. Here’s what I learned – and how I addressed the issues.

Driving
Whew, Italians drive on the right side of the road. It looks like there are plenty of bilingual signs.

We are getting International Driving Permits as recommended. These permits are carried in addition to your regular driver’s license. The app is online here – and the process was handled quickly and efficiently by my local AAA office. The IPD fee is $15 per permit – and you will need two passport style photos as part of the application. We let AAA handle those when we went in with our applications.

As for directions, I ordered two lightweight, laminated maps: Streetwise Tuscany and Streetwise Florence. Both maps fold down into easy to manage panels and include a cross-referenced index.

I have not settled on a car rental agency yet, but I do know I’m not going to pay nearly $20 a day to rent a GPS. I am downloading the Europe maps for my own TomTom. Mine has a walking mode, so it will come in handy in both London and Italy on foot as well as by car. I’m relieved that I’ll be using a device with which I’m familiar – and not a new device that I have to learn on the fly.

Cellphones
We are T-Mobile customers. Our Simple Choice Plan includes international service with no roaming charges. We can use our current devices abroad with free text and data – and pay 20-cents a minute for calls.

Charging our devices
I joke that as we travel anymore, we almost need a single bag devoted to device chargers. And we do.

The various charging cords are kept in a single zip closure plastic bag and is carried in the upper pouch of my LowePro 250 backpack bag.

We will have two phone chargers, an iPad charger, a Kindle charger, a GPS charger and car adapter, two camera battery chargers and a card reader that attaches to the iPad.

It looks like my devices are dual voltage. I just need to get adapters that allow our US plugs to fit into European outlets.

I’m looking at the Lenmar TraveLite Compact All-in-One Foreign Travel Adapter. It’s $14.99, has five different connectors built in and allows two devices to be connected at once. Two of these will allow overnight charging of both cellphones and two other devices.

But I have not seen one on person. I may still change my mind.

Camera gear and electronics
I’m trying to pack as light and as versatile as possible. I’ll tote a Nikon D5000 DSLR with a Sigma f/3.5, 18-200 mm lens. The glass is a little heavy – but will be the only lens I carry. I will also carry a pocket-sized Panasonic Lumix, and we will have the on-board cameras with our smartphones – an HTC One and a Samsung Galaxy.

I’ll likely carry a Kodak pocket sized HD video camera and accessory mic. I plan to have one back-up rechargeable battery and plenty of SD cards.

We will have an iPad and a Kindle – both with apps for mapping, attractions and translation.

All of this fits comfortably in the LowePro – and I’ll have a collapsible day pack for walking about.

I get mixed messages on whether to register equipment before going overseas – but I plan to. It’s a precaution in the event of theft or loss and better safe than sorry at Customs.

You can register any goods with serial numbers at your local Customs and Border Protection (CBP) port of entry, or the port from which you will be departing.

You must physically take the equipment to the office and a CBP Officer will record the description of the item and its serial number on a CBP Form 4457 Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad.

The CBP Officer will then stamp and sign the form and give it to you to present upon your return. A registration can be used for more than one trip as long as it is for the same equipment.

It’s very convenient for me – Savannah is a port of entry and the Customs House on Bay Street is where I can go to register.

Time to get cracking to find serial numbers and such!


No comments:

Post a Comment